Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

I am sitting here waiting for Burt to get off work so we can head home to South Dakota to spend Thanksgiving with my Mom. I am not looking foward to the 12 hour trip, but I am looking foward to the turkey:)


As I sit here I am thinking of what the day has meant to me throughout my life. There are many memories of Thanksgivings spent at my Aunt Terri's house in New Jersey. We would drive from NYC almost every Thanksgiving. She would cook a huge spread every year. It was the second time of the year when we saw her family, the other time being Christmas when they would come to the city. Thanksgiving always meant watching the Macy's parade, turkey, my Grandmother's green bean casserole, apple cider, and pie! It was always the same every year. One year was different, and it was probably my favorite. One year we didn't have a vehicle, so we were going to spend the day in NYC. My Dad was feeling really guilty. He knew he couldn't put on an elaborate spread, that was definately out of the realm of possibilities. So, he took us to The Old Forge restaurant. The food was soooo good, and I remember our server was super nice. After eating our turkey, we went to the matinee performance of Fiddler on the Roof, one of my all time favorite musicals. I remember the day being so calm and peaceful. It was funny that my father felt so guilty, when he was building one of my best memories. I tried to keep that in mind the year that I was so broke, when Ashton was about 4. I only had a little tiny table, no room to put a huge meal on it. Ashton, Burt, and I decided to have a Thanksgiving picnic. We laid a blanket on the floor and laid the spread out on it! It is one of Ashton's best Turkey Day memories, and mine. So, I guess even if you don't spend the day at a huge family affair, it still can be a day of celebration.


Warm wishes to all of you. I hope everyone gets their fill. Here is another T~day tradition: A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Remember how disappointed you would be when you realized you missed a holiday special on TV? In this day of youtube, DVRs, and DVDs my kids just don't get that! lol


Happy Thanksgiving! Especially you, Daddy!


A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving






0 Notes From My Friends: